September 2016 Meeting Minutes. cap-meeting-notes-september-27-2016
What is CAP? It is the North Shore Community Advisory Panel. What does it Advise on? The consortium of industrial companies located on the waterfront west of Maplewood Flats.
The companies are: Canexus, ERCO Worldwide, UNIVAR, Terrapure Environmental.
History: back in the 60’s various chemical companies set up shop on what was at the time a sparsely populated river plain. The location was ideal for the production of chlorine gas and sodium hydroxide [caustic soda] via the chloralkali process, along with other industrial chemicals because of the following factors:
- far from urban settlements
- access to sea (for importation of raw materials)
- access to rail (for distribution)
- access to fresh water
- cheap electricity (BC Hydro had to find uses for the electricity being generated by new hydroelectric projects)
- access to markets (pulp and paper, water treatment) in BC and eastern US
- access to people with technical expertise to staff the plants
Over time, the area has experienced more development, people living nearby wanted more information about what was going on in the industrial area – so the North Shore CAP (community advisory panel) was born.
Here are the latest minutes from the CAP meeting held Sept 2016. Blueridge resident Alex McNeil is the BCA’s representative on the CAP panel. For more info contact the North Shore Emergency Management Office (NSEMO) at NSEMO. The DNV hosts the minutes from CAP meetings on its website.