1. Next BCA meeting – this Tuesday May 12th at 7:00 pm in the library of Blueridge Elementary School. This will be the AGM (annual general meeting) of the Community Association. Will there be politicking, electioneering, lobbying and smear campaigns? Probably not – but we will have a lively presentation about the much-feared Chafer Beetle (courtesy of Susan Ware of GardenWorks) followed by voting in of board members and lots of general community news and updates. As usual – all are welcome to attend. Hope to see you there.
2. Deadline for Submissions to the Blueridge Community Newsletter – Thursday May 14th. Please send your articles, updates, info to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Sharing Garden – wow – we’ve had two work parties so far and its been amazing. So amazing that I had to give it its own post. Check it out here.
4. Twin Bridges Update – many have been lamenting the loss of Twin Bridges, especially now that the weather is good and the runners, cyclists, hikers and fishers among us would like to access the west side trails in the Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve (and even Lynn Headwaters and beyond). MetroVancouver will hold a public meeting on Wednesday June 24th at 6:30 pm (location TBD) about the possible options for a pedestrian/cycle crossing at/near the old Twin Bridges site. You need to register (it’s free) for the meeting. In addition, on Tuesday Sept. 8th, Mike Mayers (Superintendent of Environmental Management for MetroVancouver) will speak at the BCA meeting (hopefully announcing the outcomes of the June 24th public meeting) so mark that one in your calendars, 7:00 pm at Blueridge Elementary School.
5. Blueridge Good Neighbour Day – Sunday June 7th, 11:00 am – 3:00 pm. Wild West Theme (think mechanical bull ride, bluegrass music, southern style BBQ). Parade starts at 10:45 am at the corner of Hyannis and Berkley. Kids decorate your bikes and join in the parade. There will be a Silent Auction, Kid’s Carnival, Face painting, Food Trucks, Live Entertainment and much more. Come and meet your neighbours at the best community day on the North Shore. For more info, or to volunteer please contact BGND@blueridgeca.org, follow us on Twitter (@BlueridgeCA #BGND2015), or join our Facebook event for updates.
6. ERA (Electronics Recycling Association) E-waste community clean-up Sunday June 13th from 1:00 – 3:00 pm at Blueridge Elementary School. Do you have an old CRT monitor clogging up your spare room or garage? Well, the 90’s called and they want their computer back (just kidding!). The ERA is hosting a free e-waste collection in our neighbourhood. Accepted items include: desktops, notebooks, laptops, iPods and MP3 players, Printers (laser and ink jet), Peripherals (like modems, computer mice, disk drives), Servers, Phone systems, Old mobile phones, TVs, Monitors (flat screen and CRT). Equipment that can be re-used will be wiped free of any data, repaired and donated – otherwise it will be recycled.